This programme may require students to work outside normal office hours. To optimise chances of student success, 100% attendance is recommended. It is recommended that applicants have met the literacy and numeracy requirements for NCEA Level 1 or equivalent.
Students need to be aware of the physical requirements for operating in a commercial kitchen environment. Students will be advised to put any special needs or requirements in writing and advise the Programme Leader before the programme begins. Students who have successfully completed the requirements for the relevant Learning Outcomes in all 4 courses will be eligible for the award of Unit Standard 167 ‘Practise food safety methods in a food business’.
Your personalised timetable will be available just prior to classes starting, which run from
Monday to Friday:
- 6am - 12pm in Palmerston North
Monday to Wednesday:
- 8.30am - 5pm in Whanganui
Your weekly commitment comprises:
- 19.5 hours of lecturer supported learning (practical learning in UCOL's professional kitchen, theory and computer work)
- 16 hours of self-directed learning (your own time spent on practical skill development, theory and computer work to complete your assignments)
Recognition of prior learning
Applications for Recognition of Prior Learning, including Cross Credit, Credit Transfer and Assessment of Prior Learning may be made on the
Recognition of Prior Learning Form where a student believes all learning outcomes for a course or unit standards have already been met.
It will make the process easier if you prepare the following before you
- National Student Number (NSN) (If you don't have a NSN, you may
request one from NZQA, or you can supply a verified copy of your birth certificate, passport or Whakapapa statement.)
- Evidence of your highest level of academic achievement (and evidence of prior learning, if applicable)
- Evidence that you meet the entry requirements of the programme
- Check if you're eligible for additional support or a
scholarship. If you're 19 years or younger, you may be eligible to enrol in one of
our free Youth Transition programmes.
Note that you will need to provide any verified documents in person, via post or email.