Full attendance is encouraged to maximise learning opportunities and to optimise success for students.
This programme will require students to work after hours when studying at the Palmerston North or Whanganui campus. This programme leads on from the
New Zealand Certificate in Food and Beverage Service Level 3 (with strands in Café Services and Functions Services) programme and is for those students wanting to work in restaurants or bars.
It is recommended that applicants have met the literacy and numeracy requirements for NCEA Level 1 or equivalent.
Your personalised timetable will be available just prior to classes starting, and will comprise a weekly commitment of:
- 18 hours of lecturer supported learning (class time, theory, computer work and real-life experience in UCOL's training restaurant*)
- 18 hours of self-directed learning (your own time spent on practical skill development, theory and computer work to complete your assignments)
*Work in UCOL's training restaurants is dependent on time of year.
Students at Horowhenua Learning Centre in Levin
Programme requirements may vary. Please contact your tutor for details.
Recognition of prior learning
Applications for Recognition of Prior Learning, including Cross Credit, Credit Transfer and Assessment of Prior Learning may be made on the
Recognition of Prior Learning Form where a student believes all learning outcomes for a course or unit standards have already been met.
It will make the process easier if you prepare the following before you
- National Student Number (NSN) (If you don't have a NSN, you may
request one from NZQA, or you can supply a verified copy of your birth certificate, passport or Whakapapa statement.)
- Evidence of your highest level of academic achievement (and evidence of prior learning, if applicable)
- Evidence that you meet the entry requirements of the programme
- Check if you're eligible for additional support or a
scholarship. If you're 19 years or younger, you may be eligible to enrol in one of
our free Youth Transition programmes.
Note that you will need to provide any verified documents in person, via post or email.