Kia ora, Kia orana, Malo e lelei, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Talofa lava, Malo ni, Greetings to all.
Make a start on a trades career with the support of Māori and Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT) training. This is an opportunity to study fees-free (some course-related costs may apply), gain valuable knowledge and skills, and pathway onto an apprenticeship, employment or higher level of study.
MPTT is for Māori and Pasifika people aged between 16 – 40 years, enrolled and accepted into a MPTT supported qualification at UCOL. Places are limited, so we welcome your application.
Tips for applying
- Talk with whānau, friends and supporters about this opportunity.
- Complete the
UCOL Enrolment Form and the
UCOL MPTT Application Form, and return forms to
a UCOL Information Centre.
- Ask for help - UCOL enrolment advisors and the MPTT Coordinator welcome your questions.
- You are advised to arrange other methods to pay your fees, in case your application for MPTT support and funding is unsuccessful.
What can I expect?
- Academic support throughout your studies
- Access to all
- Pastoral care and cultural support
- A safe, supportive learning environment
- A whānau and aiga-based student experience
Relationship-based learning practices from UCOL staff
- Opportunity to develop relationships with employers while studying
- Assistance and preparation for gaining apprenticeships and employment
What is expected of me?
Any student that is selected for MPTT is expected to demonstrate a strong commitment to both study and progressing your career. This means you commit to:
- Attending class and doing the work
- Passing the programme
- Attending and completing any work-readiness programmes
- Keeping in contact with your key MPTT staff
- Keeping UCOL up-to-date with your contact details and any change of circumstances, eg. phone number change, withdrawals, etc.
- The MPTT Coordinator will be in touch to arrange a meeting to discuss your application.
- Review the 'Ready to study checklist' below to help you get ready, and be prepared to talk about your answers with the MPTT Coordinator.
- You will find out the result of your application.
Ready to study checklist
Kei te reri ahau ki te ako? (Am I ready to study?)
When deciding to study, there are many factors that you need to think about. This checklist will assist you to start making sure you are ready to study.
Hihiri (Motivation) - Why am I doing this? What are my short and long-term goals?
Tautoko (Support) - Who are my support networks and how will I use them? What extra support might I need?
Pūkenga ako (Study skills) - How will I plan my study? Do I need help with this?
Wā (Time) - Do I know how to manage my time effectively? What other commitments do I have that may impact on my study?
Pūtea (Money) - Do I have financial support while I study? Do I know how to apply for allowances through StudyLink? What are my requirements if I am on a WINZ benefit? Do I have a current bank account?
Rauemi (Resources) - What other items might I need as part of my study? Do I have a birth certificate, current passport, 18+ card or other form of identification? Do I know my IRD number?
Hui (Meeting) - Do I need to discuss my MPTT application and programme with UCOL staff?
Ehara taku toa he toa takitahi, he toa takitini.
Success is gained not by the efforts of one, but by the efforts of many.
Kia Ū, Kia Oho, Kia Manawanui!